Local Emergency Management

What to do in an emergency (currently under review)

We have emergency management arrangements in place to manage the adverse effects of a natural disaster on a community. View emergency arrangements

Here are some FAQ's that will answer many questions you may have if there is an emergency.

My house has been damaged as a result of bush fires or storms - how do I get emergency assistance to repair it?

Call the State Emergency Service (SES) on 132 500

Where can I access up to date information during an emergency in my local area?

Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES):

ABC Radio: 720AM

Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) recorded information line on 1300 659 213

Where do I go if I have to evacuate my house?

Evacuation centres are determined by the Department Of Child Protection and Family Services. They are generally located a safe distance from the emergency. Once determined you will be informed of the location via ABC 720AM radio.

What will happen to my pets?

Please do not bring your pets to evacuation centres. We have an agreement with other councils and vets for housing pets during emergencies. Call Ranger Services on 0418 943 219 for further information during an emergency.

What support can I access during the emergency?

You can access financial support through the Lord Mayors Disaster Relief Fund, the Department of Child Protection and Family Services and the State Natural Disaster Relief Fund if applicable. Visit our website for links and more information on financial support.

Are you bushfire ready? Learn more about Firebreaks